Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Were we right to buy the Wind?

+2
Araf
pittstop
6 posters

Go down

Were we right to buy the Wind? Empty Were we right to buy the Wind?

Post by pittstop Wed 3 Aug 2016 - 12:02

Well at long last we have put our decision to change the MGTF160 (Mid engine, RWD) for the Wind 133 (FWD) to the real test. A trip across Europe mixing long distance AutoRoute driving with days out on local roads & some hilly/twisty bits for fun. Something we have done for many years in an assortment of sports cars & hope to continue to do now we are older. 

Downside: Wind is significantly slower on acceleration & is less flexible at lower revs. That said I knew that a 0-60 time of 6.9 secs by the MG was always going to be a tough act to follow! Booting a RWD drive car through a bend is always my preference but I must say the Wind does tackle such corners well once I got used to changing from a RWD to a FWD driving style. The Wind is particularly low geared so cruising at AutoRoute speeds was a steady 4250rpm which was reflected in an overall mpg for the trip of only 35mpg. The gear ratios & final drive are; & a good thing too in a roadster; certainly designed to maximise performance rather than cruising. Overall not as much fun to drive as the MG.

Upside: The MG was noisy & had very stiff suspension. Not a recipe for long distance comfort. Despite low gearing the Wind's engine noise is well damped so one could actually hold a conversation at 80mph with the roof up. Roof down: less buffeting & still fun. Auto air con, comfortable seats, lower engine & tyre noise, side wind stable at 80mph, great boot, compliant suspension (on the Shuttle it gently rocked whereas the Boxter behind us was unmoving) all added up to a very civilised experience from what is a very compact car.

The Wind is correctly allocated the title of Roadster by Renault, not Sports Car, & it's a role if fulfils really well. Ignore critics & mickey takers: this is a niche market car that; as far as I'm concerned; does the job.

More trips planned for the future!!!!!
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Were we right to buy the Wind? Empty Re: Were we right to buy the Wind?

Post by Araf Wed 3 Aug 2016 - 12:43

Good to hear it all went well. Smile

Dropping 30bhp with a slight increase in weight is a recipe for dulling the flight abilities, so I guess that was more of a confirmation for you, than a surprise.  Maybe it would be better matched with the 135 MG.

As you have cruise on the Wind, I find that flicking it on at 60 when the roads are boring works well.  You seem to get to your destination just as quickly, your MPG becomes 40+ and you're fresh for when the roads get interesting and you want to take the car by the scruff and drive it through some bends. Smile
Araf
Araf
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Wed 3 Aug 2016 - 16:25

I still haven't used the cruise or limiter.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElNumbre Wed 3 Aug 2016 - 17:49

@Pittstop great to hear you enjoyed the long distance.  I find the seats are very comfortable in an otherwise basic cockpit.  Wondered how the Wind would perform in GT Configuration.
The 1.2 has adequate power, but I'd love to see how it would perform with increased turbo boost or a supercharger.

@Barbs I've used it on the bloomin M5 50mph roadworks that go on for miles. But it feels like they didn't have much time to think where to put the button being down on the floor like that.
ElNumbre
ElNumbre
Admin

https://renaultw.in/d/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullyboy Wed 3 Aug 2016 - 20:31

Great little review.  Glad your enjoying it.  Mine was bought as a 'weekend toy' and so far it's a lot of fun and for the money I paid a great second hand bargain with a lot of car for the money.
Bullyboy
Bullyboy
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by colin565 Wed 3 Aug 2016 - 20:43

I am glad the Wind is a roadster instead of a sports car, as i have had sports cars in my time and they were just targets. Contending with.....

'Off the lights' gits.
Guys trying to dangerously overtake in underrated cars.
Not letting me out at junctions.
Vandalism.
Police checks.

Glad I do not get that anymore, and can get to drive peacefully (most of the time). 

Maybe its just me getting old, and I will end up driving a 800cc smart car next Razz

(oh, I do already, as its the wife's car)
colin565
colin565
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Thu 4 Aug 2016 - 19:06

Getting Old!!

Bet you're not as old as we are.

Interestingly: our 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor (Red); 1963 & 1977 MGBs (Midnight Blue & Chartreuse); 1970s Triumph TR7s (Orange, Green & Yellow); 2004 & 2003 MGTFs (Trophy Yellow & Trophy Blue) & the 2001 Alfa Spider (Coventry Green: Similar to British Racing Green) did not attract idiots but our yellow SLK certainly did. Can't be a colour thing must be an anti German Sports Car thing!

Last edited by pittstop on Thu 4 Aug 2016 - 19:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down