Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Oil Filter.

2 posters

Go down

Oil Filter. Empty Oil Filter.

Post by pittstop Sat 27 Jun 2020 - 14:37

Well: during lock down I ordered all the parts for a full service & other time related maintenance items coming up in the foreseeable future on the 1.6 & decided to tackle it a job at a time to fill time & ease the workload.

One morning: air filter, next day cabin filter, next day full brake bleed, etc, etc.

Saved the best for last: Oil and filter change which my daughter's partner; an ex motor technician; offered to do for me at their place as lying on my back on the drive gives me dizzy spells.

Removed under tray no problem then found his extensive tool kit didn't include the correct sized square drive for the sump plug so back to my place to raid my "old geezer's" odds & ends box where I found an 8mm drive; which I had bought for a one off job on the Alfa; buried amongst other long forgotten sockets.

Now the filter. On the 1.6 it is squeezed between the engine & the rad with various wires, hoses, & a stabiliser bar in the way. 

Hand force no good, no space to operate a strap wrench, so back to my old tools again where I found a 3 legged "spider" which fitted but left hardly any room to wield a bar to turn it. The engine was still hot so burnt hand ensued but after a hour of cussing & sweating he shifted it!! I nearly kissed him!! Only COVID stopped me!!!

Now fully serviced & with all time related maintenance items also up to date I shouldn't have to touch it for routine maintenance until 2022.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Oil Filter. Empty Re: Oil Filter.

Post by bigjase1972 Sat 27 Jun 2020 - 18:52

Wow! I definitely think I’ll let my mechanic tackle my next service then!😉👍🏻
bigjase1972
bigjase1972
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sun 28 Jun 2020 - 19:47

My hobby for many years was motor mechanics on my own cars as well as a lengthy period as a support mechanic to a guy who raced a Triumph TR 3 in Thoroughbred Sports Car events. 

I rebuilt my first engine; with my Dad's help; at age 17 & have been working on all types of classic & "interesting" cars ever since with the exception of my company cars whose care I left to the professionals.

Finally age is reducing what I can physically achieve on a driveway but with the help of my daughter's partner I aim to continue home maintenance for a few years more.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

marelro and bigjase1972 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down