Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

A wind in Cornwall.

4 posters

Go down

A wind in Cornwall. Empty A wind in Cornwall.

Post by jmee54 Sun 5 May 2019 - 21:52

Hi, I have just bought a car I had never seen or heard of before! I was looking for something relatively cheap and a bit different when I saw an ad for a 1.2 Dynamique S. It is definitely a Marmite car, but I think it is great and as I'm a bit of an old fart, so just the job. All is good and everything works and I'm quite chuffed with it, but am sure I will meet with some negative comments - do I care? It's black with tan full leather heated seats which i think brighten the interior. Anyway I am sure I will be visiting the forum frequently, with my first question coming now.
How can I disable the alarm if I leave my dog in while I nip into Sainsbury's?

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

A wind in Cornwall. Empty Re: A wind in Cornwall.

Post by Timtnx Mon 6 May 2019 - 8:34

Welcome to the club from another relative newbie. I'm sure someone on here can tell you the exact process but it's too do with switching the ignition on and off before setting the alarm. @barbs can you help out?
Timtnx
Timtnx
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Mon 6 May 2019 - 9:28

I'll find the post and quote it
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Mon 6 May 2019 - 9:43

Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmee54 Mon 6 May 2019 - 21:52

Thanks for the reply, I will check that out later. Smile
I have a more pressing problem to sort. I noticed today that the roof trim on the passenger side has lifted. I have had the car for all of two days! To be honest it is in lovely condition and has all the knobs and whistles, this is just one of those things - I think.
This trim seems to be glued in place. Is this so? I have prised it up a bit and can't see any fastenings.
Question 1. Is it glued?
Question 2. What do I use to re-stick it?
Question 3. If it isn't glued, what do I do?

I hope someone knows! Cheers John.

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by jmee54 Mon 6 May 2019 - 21:54

A wind in Cornwall. Roof210
A wind in Cornwall. Roof10

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistydogblue Tue 7 May 2019 - 17:16

Hi, if you have a look at the e-bay link below one of the pictures shows the underside of the trim panel and you can see that there are about 6 built-in clips that presumably attach it to the car. Hope this is of some help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-WIND-PASSENGER-NEAR-SIDE-ROOF-TRIM-PANEL-COVER-STRIP-788750001R/282559037202?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Mistydogblue
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by jmee54 Wed 8 May 2019 - 9:38

It is the top edge that has become unstuck. There is a bead of mastic that runs along the top edge of the trim. That has become detached and the mastic has dried so that it no longer sticks. I could raise that edge about 15-20mm and scrape away the mastic. Not knowing what was holding the panel in place I didn't want to pull any harder. I bought some adhesive sealer and replaced the bead and taped the panel down with copious amounts of masking tape.
I am not sure how those lugs on the ebay picture work - they may push in to rubber grommets as I could raise the panel. There was other adhesive under there as well.
I will remove the tape today and see how secure things are.

I checked the other side panel and that was starting to come away too, so I did that one too.

If I had removed the panel it would have been easier, but I didn't want to risk breaking it.

Has anyone else noticed their panels lifting? It would seem strange if my car was the only one.

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Timtnx Thu 9 May 2019 - 17:04

Just checked mine and they are both lifting too so will be interested to hear how you get on
Timtnx
Timtnx
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by jmee54 Thu 9 May 2019 - 23:13

Well, living in Cornwall, the nearest place I could think of to find something to stick the panels with was Jewsons. The chap there recommended "The Dog's B*ll*cks" (charming!) sealer adhesive, which wasn't the cheapest by any means. I bought black and it seems to have worked a treat. I taped the panels down with multiple strips of masking tape, stretched tight with the panels being pressed down. I am a little worried that I have left somewhere where water might enter, although I tried my best not to. Not knowing what is under there, I don't know if there is anywhere where it could cause corrosion if I have missed a bit at the front. I might try and remove the panels fully in the summer to check. It would certainly be easier to apply the sealer with the panel removed, but it would now involve making a tool to cut through the sealer. The factory sealer is a mastic that stays soft and is easily removed. This stuff I have used has a much stronger bond and there is no danger of the panel lifting again. Tip, mask off the edges of the paintwork and wear latex gloves if you use this stuff, it sticks really well to anything! I left it 24 hrs before removing the tape.

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down