Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Time to say hello :-)

+4
pittstop
Dr@gon
Bunyip
Barbs
8 posters

Go down

Time to say hello :-) Empty Time to say hello :-)

Post by Bandit197 Tue 22 May 2018 - 23:08

Hi,

I thought it was time I said Hello. I've had my Wind since July last year, which is when I first found the forum and read some posts to get familiar with the model before buying one. I finally came back and registered a month ago, and it seems rude to register and not say 'Hi'.

My car is a 1.6 Collection in White, a 60 registration, number 092. I purchased with approx 35,000 miles on the clock, and took a risk as it had no servicebook or manual, and only a couple of garage bills and MOT. Not something I'd normally do, but the price was right. Straight away I had it serviced, belts changed, and a full set of new tyres.

The previous owners owned the car for 3 years, and only did about 1,800 miles a year. In the last 10 months I've added 13,000 miles, but for the first 3 or 4 months it was really a second car while I figured out if I could use it as my one and only car. I'm doing 16,000 to 18,000 a year, mostly my daily commute across the Peak District, from North of Sheffield to Buxton and back. It's a lovely run in the sunshine with the roof down!

I haven't had any major issues yet (fingers crossed it remains that way). On one occasion the car stubornly wouldn't unlock, and I had to disconnect the battery for a while in order to reset the system. And sadly the front bumper was struck by a large bolt thrown up b a passing lorry tyre last week - it's taken out the O/S fog light and done a small amount of damage to the bumper. Nothing that can't be fixed though, I'm glad it didn't fly higher and come through the windscreen as it must have been traveling with some force.

I'm just trying to work out if it's due another service. The dash computer after the last service suggested 18,000 miles to the next one, but I think I have read that this is an indication of oil life/quality only, and the actual service interval is 12,000 miles.

Other than that, the item I most need is the hex key for manual roof operation. And if I can ever spare the cash I'd like to swap out the puncture repair kit for a proper spare wheel.

All in all, I'm very happy with Wind ownership so far.

Regards to all,

Bandit
Bandit197
Bandit197
Took the roof down

Back to top Go down

Time to say hello :-) Empty Re: Time to say hello :-)

Post by Barbs Tue 22 May 2018 - 23:16

Well Hello Bandit. You are nearly on my patch... Doncaster 

Hope you will enjoy many years of ownership. In July I will of had Blue Boy 7 years, I love him as much now as the first day I got him.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunyip Wed 23 May 2018 - 10:41

Hi Bandit and a warm welcome from sunny Southampton - I had 2 grey cats some years ago, Smokey and Bandit lol Bandit used to bring all the wildlife in including a bat (once). 
Anyway welcome to the club and to owning a Wind - I hope you find it a pleasureable experience. CoolLaughing
Bunyip
Bunyip
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr@gon Wed 23 May 2018 - 10:55

Hi and welcome Smile
Dr@gon
Dr@gon
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Wed 23 May 2018 - 13:53

Hi Welcome

No reason whatsoever why the Wind shouldn't cope with your daily commute they're comfortable over long distances the only downside being the low gearing on the 1.6 which does affect the fuel consumption a bit.

My 1.6 GT Line came with a spare wheel; jack; etc so these must be available at a reasonable cost. Personally, I wouldn't go any distance without one.

Enjoy!
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit197 Wed 23 May 2018 - 16:33

Thank you all for your welcome. :-)
Bandit197
Bandit197
Took the roof down

Back to top Go down

Post by knebby Wed 23 May 2018 - 17:45

Hi Bandit, definitely useable every day, I’ve been doing 30,000 miles a year in mine for the past seven years. 

Recommended servicing for the 1.2 is 12,000 miles and for the 1.6 it’s 18,000.

If you like a more rorty note from your 1.6, take out the rubber bung that’s on the air box under the bonnet. There are posts on the forum here that say exactly where it is. The engine sounds better but it doesn’t affect performance or fuel consumption.
knebby
knebby
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Wed 23 May 2018 - 18:34

Just watch the new MOT that came out on Sunday
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit197 Wed 23 May 2018 - 21:38

Barbs - Are there particular issues that might affect the Wind, or are you just suggesting the rubber bung might need to be put back at MOT time? April MOT on mine so I'm OK for a while.

Knebby - Your signature suggests you own both engine sizes. Is that 30k miles a year between them, or have you put 210k miles on one of them? I'll have a look for the thread about the bung modification.
Bandit197
Bandit197
Took the roof down

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Wed 23 May 2018 - 22:20

Sat in Kwik fit on Sunday and there was a video loop on the new MOT, it suggested that any alterations to the car might affect the pass but I can't see it on the Web pages.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit197 Wed 23 May 2018 - 22:25

So it might be wise to keep the bung, and bung it back in at MOT time.

Didn't find anything here, but over on a Twingo forum much talk of improved noise inside the cabin, and also one thread reporting a slight drop in power with the bung removed, as demonstrated on a rolling road. Also that it's tricky to refit without use of a lubricant (WD40, washing up liquid etc).
Bandit197
Bandit197
Took the roof down

Back to top Go down

Post by knebby Thu 24 May 2018 - 7:22

Hi bandit,

I’ve got a red 1.2 which I’ve had from new. It has now done 155,000 miles and is worth nothing as a trade in so I’ve kept it, and for daily use I got a black 1.6 which had done 15,000 when I got it and is now on 82,000.
knebby
knebby
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Thu 24 May 2018 - 9:00

Bandit197 wrote:So it might be wise to keep the bung, and bung it back in at MOT time.

Didn't find anything here, but over on a Twingo forum much talk of improved noise inside the cabin, and also one thread reporting a slight drop in power with the bung removed, as demonstrated on a rolling road. Also that it's tricky to refit without use of a lubricant (WD40, washing up liquid etc).

No logical reason why having the bung removed should affect any emissions tests.

Mine's easily passed a couple of tests with it out &; as far as I can see; the MoT emission test levels are unchanged for existing petrol engines.

The bung was described as a "track day" mod on the Twingo RS; giving greater aural pleasure particularly when well up the rev range; but there was no claimed impact on actual bhp.

Did try it in & out; under various driving conditions; finally deciding to leave it out for good; & can vouch for the need for lubricant. I used silicon spray which made things much easier.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Sat 26 May 2018 - 12:11

Hello there bandit, welcome aboard!
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by ElNumbre Sat 26 May 2018 - 14:48

Time to say hello :-) Giphy and welcome to the firm.

Admin

https://renaultw.in/d/

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Sat 26 May 2018 - 16:39

Love it
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down