Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

new front tyres

+4
pittstop
ElNumbre
donjack
Bullyboy
8 posters

Go down

new front tyres Empty new front tyres

Post by donjack Fri 24 Feb 2017 - 22:44

I had the misfortune of a puncture last week, it looked like a 6 inch nail had found its way into one of the front tyres! Shocked

and so the search began!
I was a little bit worried as I thought the tyres would be very expensive, I needn't have worried, I found these,

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=25231027.110.25597&Breite=205&Quer=40&Felge=17&Speed=&Load=&kategorie=&Marke=Rotalla&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Rotalla&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&filter_preis_bis=&filter_preis_von=&homologation=&search_tool=standard&Label=C-B-69-1&details=Ordern&typ=R-294472

I did a bit of research on them and the reviews were very positive, so I thought I would give them a try.
I paid £33.20 with FREE delivery, I like the word free!! lol!
so I bought two! (now priced at £36.70!!)
got them fitted on Monday and I was well impressed! the main difference I can tell is that the road/ tyre noise level has dropped quite a bit, but due to being quite ignorant about tyres the rest of the stuff is a mystery! I don't drive to excessive extremes so it's not like they will be pushed to breaking point!! lol!

all in all i am very pleased with the tyres!

some reviews here.

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/rotalla/ru01
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

new front tyres Empty Re: new front tyres

Post by Bullyboy Sat 25 Feb 2017 - 6:42

Looks like a bargain. Never heard of the brand. Glad they worked out
Bullyboy
Bullyboy
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr@gon Sat 25 Feb 2017 - 7:39

i am getting a set of them 215/40/17 Smile
Dr@gon
Dr@gon
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Sat 25 Feb 2017 - 12:41

Saving up for the back two now!! It might have to wait tho', my wife has decided that she wants a log burner putting in and I've heard that they can be quite expensive!!
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by ElNumbre Sat 25 Feb 2017 - 15:50

Be sure to check back in a few months to let us know how they are. My better half has just had new front tyres on her Focus, and Rotella were an option.  She's actually picked some Accelera tyres but Im always nervous of random brand tyres.

I need to get my front passenger side wheel done as I took a chunk out of the sidewall before Xmas, but I'll probably go for something like the Kumho's which are cheaper than the main brands, but are at least known.  However, if the Rotella perform, then I'd be happy to explore those.

Admin

https://renaultw.in/d/

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Sat 25 Feb 2017 - 16:27

I'll certainly be keeping you all updated. 
They were put on at 16200 miles (one way of reminding myself!) 
So watch this space.
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sun 26 Feb 2017 - 16:30

Dr@gon wrote:i am getting a set of them 215/40/17 Smile

Interesting. I thought standard size was 205/40/17 but quite fancied upsizing to 215/40/17 for the possible benefits of marginally higher gearing & extra tyre width to protect wheels from kerbing.

I believe that 205 & 215 are the norm for 7" rims with 195 & 225 being suggested max & min so possibly I could go up to 225/40/17.

Has anyone gone up to 225? Any clearance problems?

That said my calcs indicate only 8mm greater wheel radius between 205 & 225 & an increase in mph per 1000rpm of 0.5mph; so no real gearing benefit there; just wheel protection & possibly cosmetic benefits.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr@gon Sun 26 Feb 2017 - 20:46

could not find any 225/40/17 on .blackcircles.com Sad
Dr@gon
Dr@gon
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Wed 6 Sep 2017 - 17:24

6 month update! All is good with the new(ish) tyres! Still loads of tread and still holding the road! Good stuff lol!
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by KatanaAl Fri 1 Dec 2017 - 15:10

Although my car passed it's MOT last month, since the onset of the colder weather with wet and greasy roads the handling of my car has gone from really good to dreadful. The tyres fitted are a complete hotch potch and having had several slides I have no faith in them, this is also affecting hard braking as the grip levels of mismatched poor quality tyres are obviously different. Since I have decided to keep the car, just had the timing belt done and had it remapped to 125bhp I am having a full set of Avon ZZ5 tyres fitted on Tuesday. They are A rated for wet grip and braking and get excellent reviews. I do like to drive the car quite briskly and really enjoy the incredible handling of these cars and I think it's wrong to scrimp on things like tyres and brakes. Will update after next Wednesday's drive out with Sandancer.

Last edited by KatanaAl on Fri 1 Dec 2017 - 17:42; edited 1 time in total
KatanaAl
KatanaAl
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Fri 1 Dec 2017 - 17:07

When the Captur needed a full set of tyres recently (I had "rotated" them front to rear so they wore evenly) I did some homework & also opted for Avons. In this case ZV7s.

Good ratings for grip & also for noise which seem to be justified in practice.

OK some tyres have better wear ratings but it's grip that matters in an emergency.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by KatanaAl Thu 7 Dec 2017 - 12:34

Well I was out with Sandancer yesterday zooming around the lovely Northumberland roads ending up in Druridge Bay for lunch, we did have our tops down as it was a positively balmy 10c. The new tyres, Avon ZZ5's felt pretty good, the roads were damp in places and the grip was really good, also the braking did feel stronger and safer. Very pleased and would recommend these tyres. Would also recommend Black Circles as I ordered the tyres through them. They were sent to a local garage who fitted them.
KatanaAl
KatanaAl
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by johntymac Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 11:22

Hi, Don't do a lot of miles in my wind so bought 4xBlackcircles.com Quality Choice 205/40 R17 W (84), Reinforced. The reduction of noise in the cabin is fantastic. wind Very Happy

johntymac
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunyip Sat 23 Mar 2019 - 5:09

Just had a brand new set of Kumho’s fitted - previously had Continentals on board. When I bought my Gordini I swapped the wheels because I preferred the set on my old car.
The Continentals were noisey and tbh - I didn’t rate them at all except I know they are hard wearing.
Haven’t been far obviously as I only had the new set put on yesterday afternoon - however it was an immediately noticeable difference even just driving home 205/40/17’s 
£360 full set of 4 - could have had Perrilli’s for an extra £40 but I’ve had these before and I know they are a quieter tyre  Laughing Happy so far - happy enough to keep the Wind

Last edited by Bunyip on Tue 26 Mar 2019 - 13:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Bunyip
Bunyip
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down