Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Reflections

5 posters

Go down

Reflections Empty Reflections

Post by pittstop Mon 24 Oct 2016 - 13:30

Read about the problem with dashboard reflections in the screen & recently found this to be quite a problem when driving into the sun especially when driving down tree lined lanes where the reflection forms a distracting on/off effect to the point where I nearly missed seeing a drably clothed cyclist.

Does anyone know if there is any solution to this in the form of non reflective surface one can apply to the top of the dashboard?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Reflections Empty Re: Reflections

Post by Barbs Mon 24 Oct 2016 - 20:25

Someone talked about wrapping it but not sure I ever saw a result. To be honest I have just got used to it but I guess you could spray it with a matt paint, maybe... The problem in summer it gets quite hot so it would need to cope with the temperature.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Wed 23 Nov 2016 - 14:11

Did some research on internet & it seems this is a topic raised on other car related forums (fora?).

Someone recommended a car upholstery cleaning product that is supposed to leave a matt rather than shiny finish. HG Dashboard Spray.

One product review did praise it's beneficial effect re reflections.

So: I invested £8.

Result my dashboard looks nice & clean especially when reflected in my screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all fairness to the product it does what it says on the tin & they don't claim it reduces reflections.

Currently I have a black hand towel cut to shape covering my side of the top of the dashboard which is a great help. I am reluctant at this stage to do anything non reversible but I will be having a go with some matt black tape to see if that helps.

If that works I may then bite the bullet & get some matt black upholstery paint.

In sunny climes such as Australia & parts of the USA there is quite a market in made to measure "dashboard mats" with the Aussie ones being RHD. That said Renault don't sell many; if any now; cars there so no chance of one for a Wind!
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 10:20

Finally bit the bullet & bought; not paint; but some A4 sheets of self adhesive black felt from Hobbycraft.

Initially tested them by putting a rectangle on each door panel where the seatbelt buckle rattles against the door when the passenger seat is  unoccupied due to my fitting of seat belt pads; very useful on long runs for seat belt comfort; which make the belt park lower than usual. This worked & looked OK.

I then covered my half of the dashboard top with these sheets.

What a b****r of a job with your head banging against the screen & mirror. The sheets that are quite controllable with the backing in place become floppy & uncontrollable as you peel it off. Thank goodness I have long arms.

Result: Not a perfect finish due to all the contours but presentable.

Real Result: All reflections from his area eliminated.

In the long term I will have to see how lasting the adhesive is but so far so good.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by ElNumbre Sun 5 Mar 2017 - 12:27

Barbs wrote:Someone talked about wrapping it but not sure I ever saw a result. To be honest I have just got used to it but I guess you could spray it with a matt paint, maybe... The problem in summer it gets quite hot so it would need to cope with the temperature.

I still have aspirations of getting double stitched leather on my dashboard but I want to obtain a 'used' dashboard first as I also want to install a 7" LCD screen in the centre console bit. 
The other option might be alcantara, which has a much more matt finish but it would be a case of trying it.

My biggest concern is covering the passenger airbag section.  I think to ensure safe deployment in an accident, you'd need to find someone who can score the additional covering so that it can easily rip through when it goes off.
ElNumbre
ElNumbre
Admin

https://renaultw.in/d/

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Thu 23 Mar 2017 - 9:44

Black felt still adhering well & doing an excellent job of ensuring my view is not obstructed by reflections.

Reflections Wind_a10

As I said: not beautiful but we've just got used to it.

Last edited by pittstop on Thu 23 Mar 2017 - 9:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra info)
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 19:36

Well. The sticky fuzzy felt faded; some sheets to grey & others to a rusty colour; & looked a real mess. Even worse than in the picture so I bit the bullet & stripped it all off. Was left with a gooey sticky coating with black hairy bits all over the dashboard. AAARRRGGGHHH!

Much elbow grease, white spirit, & semi abrasive plastic pan cleaners later I got back to the original dashboard with all it's associated reflections!

What to do to make it reflection free?

My wife returned home from a shopping trip & presented me with a black microfibre cloth from Dunelm Mill which is designed to clean granite work surfaces. A bit of cutting later & I have a made to measure reflection stopper which just lays neatly on the top of the dashboard; no sticky stuff, etc; & can be lifted off for cleaning it & the dashboard &; should I decide to sell the Wind; has no impact on it's original appearance.

Problem solved!!

Will get a pic.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 19:54

Pics taken in the dark but do show end result.

See next post as initial download failed.

The yellow sticker is the French environmental "Crit Air" sticker for access to some French towns & cities.

Last edited by pittstop on Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 20:06; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : additional data)
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 20:03

Reflections Wind_a11
Reflections Wind_a14
Reflections Wind_a13
Reflections Wind_a12
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by knebby Wed 20 Sep 2017 - 21:35

You must hate those reflections!!

I must say that I've got used to them and really don't notice them.
knebby
knebby
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Thu 21 Sep 2017 - 8:08

I think I may have become paranoid about the reflections the day I nearly didn't see an; admittedly drab clothed; cyclist on a country lane because of them.

The angle between my eyes, the screen, & dash may well be untypical as; although I'm nearly 6 ft tall; I have the seat at maximum elevation for long journey comfort. Ducking as I get in & out has become a routine by now!

At least now I have my solution without damaging the car's original interior finish..
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by D Fri 22 Sep 2017 - 7:37

Do agree the reflections can be worse depending on seating position but you can get used to them, and I tend not to notice them now. Unless it’s very sunny but then the roof is down.
Important thing is to have a position that suits and still allows you to have good visibility as there are a few blindspots. Having your solution at least means not distracted and can see other people.
I’ve found that have to comprimise a bit between outside vision and still being able to see the speedometer. I’m 6’ 3 so have come to expect not always getting the perfect position

D
Cruising down the highway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down