Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Time for new tyres

4 posters

Go down

Time for new tyres Empty Time for new tyres

Post by ohkrana87 Tue 3 Nov 2015 - 19:00

Hiya

I need new tyres for my car, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I'm still using the original continentals which came with the car but they desperately need replacing, or at least the front two do. I can get the same tyres (continental sport contact 5s) fitted for about £100 per tyre or I can get Prestivo PV-S1 which has exactly the same ratings for fuel efficiency, braking performance and noise, but for around £60 per tyre fitted.

Since I'm not racing my car round any tracks is it an obvious choice here or is it worth shelling out the extra £160 for a set of continentals and if so would I notice any difference?

Cheers guys
ohkrana87
ohkrana87
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Time for new tyres Empty Re: Time for new tyres

Post by LukeC Tue 3 Nov 2015 - 19:35

Hi

The tyre ratings don't always reflect the performance on the road; cheap tyres are generally awful despite ratings due to the cheap compounds and lack of development (look into how much the big companies spend) there are exceptions however (hankook do some goods ones; some kuhmo tyres are considered okay) my Goodyear eagle F1s cosy £87 fitted which was marginally more than a set of budgets and the difference on the road is massive.

Get yourself over to the tyrereviews website its pretty unbias and to be fair I wouldn't pay for Continentals as they wear a little fast in sport form and you can do a little better with your money if you're not a boy racer

LukeC
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Araf Tue 3 Nov 2015 - 21:18

You stay on the road, courtesy of four contact patches, each the size of your hand.  Whilst there's no such thing as a bad tyre any more, some are better than others.  Having decent rubber could be the difference between stopping 3 inches from the car in front under heavy braking, or using your crumple zone to stop.

I always buy tyres in pairs, and the new ones go on the back, and the rear wheels get put on the front.  

I use Uniroyal Rainsport2 or 3.  Fantastic wet grip for just over £50 + fitting, and last as long as the old Contis used to.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s13p111638/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_205_40_R17_84Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

When you realise that Michelin have owned Uniroyal for 25 years, and the technology is shared, they make a cheap alternative to what many regard as the best.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeC Wed 4 Nov 2015 - 8:30

That's a bargain to be fair Uniroyal's get really good reviews

LukeC
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Fury Fri 20 Nov 2015 - 18:10

I wish we could see the messages about tyres on the old forum. Is there any way to do this?
Night Fury
Night Fury
Took the roof down

Back to top Go down

Post by Araf Fri 20 Nov 2015 - 20:15

No, unless you can get admin to let you back.

I think that most of the posters are here, so give us your questions, and we'll see if we can fill in the gaps. Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Fury Thu 28 Jan 2016 - 11:49

I purchased a new pair of Dunlop Sports Maxx 205 / 40 R17 84 V tyres last week, so I have got them on all four wheels now. They are expensive (around £100 each in London), but they are lot quieter than the Continentals, and reduce noise inside the cabin considerably.

The only good news about the cost is that tyres have been falling in recent months due to the declining oil price.
Night Fury
Night Fury
Took the roof down

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeC Thu 28 Jan 2016 - 21:43

That is pretty pricey I've done 2K+ on my F1s now and I think theyre great never give up any grip in wet conditions

LukeC
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down